Thursday, September 6, 2012

The State Fair


The State Fair is at hand.  The State Fair is an event that for 10 days comes into our lives and our community with sights and sounds, tastes and smells.  What is your favorite place at the Fair?  I have those regular places I go.  I go to see the biggest pumpkin and watermelon and other exhibits in the Pride of Kansas Building.  I go to the Domestic Arts Building to see the beautiful quilts and handwork that are such works of art; the ladies of the congregations that I have served who love to quilt would be proud of me.  While in the Domestic Arts Building I also check out the cakes and other baked items, such creativity, and all I can say is that it is a good thing they are behind glass.  There are so many other things, new born animals, large fish and snakes, and all the rest.  I see lots of people I know.  I see members of my congregation, people I know from the community that our paths just don’t cross often enough, and I meet new people every year. 

I encounter God at the State Fair.  God is in the people that come, the gifted exhibitors who have been  blessed with wonderful talents, in those who care for and show animals and those who man exhibits inviting us to learn, understand, and grow.   God is in us, the residents of this community that welcome the State and beyond to our hometown.  And every evening that I am there I just like to sit there by where the train stops and the kids play in the water that squirts up from the sidewalks, and I like to breath deep and watch the people and listen and realize the God can even be at the Kansas State Fair.     
Pr. Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment