Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First steps

Our little Zoe has started waking.  After a few hesitant attempts at standing she took two stumbling steps before falling.  It was not long before she tried again and this time managed three steps.  In the course of a week she was able to master the process and now can walk just about as far as she cares to, which is usually the length of the living room.  At the end of every tiny journey she gives herself a round of applause and smiles up at us, knowing that we are rooting for her.  It is a big week for first steps in the Vickers house.  Autumn is also starting Kindergarten.  She is excited and I know will do much better than I did.  She is more of a go-getter than I am.  It is a time of joyful new beginnings.

These days make me wonder at the awesome fact that Jesus taught us to call God "Father."  I believe that Jesus gave us that name for God knowing that we would fill our thoughts of God with all the good things that name can conjur.  Since God has so chosen to name himself as something so close to our experience, then surely even as I look down at little Zoe, He is looking down on us all.  Our own hesitant and stumbling attempts at righteousness are under the watchful gaze of not a hateful judge, but a loving Father.  I am so  glad these days that Jesus taught us to pray to God our Father.  It makes it easier to get up and try again knowing who is looking down on me. 

Pastor Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment